Re: [SLUG] ROTFL moment

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Fri Oct 25 2002 - 00:46:39 EDT

> >A microsoft developer has told me that ms habitually breaks formats from
> >version to version; an earlier version of an app cannot open a file
> >produced
> >by the successive version. They want their suckers, I mean customers, to
> >stroll through the Gates, down the garden path of forced upgrade.?
> >Smitty

It gets better. From what I understand, Microsoft just dumps memory into
its Word files. As any programmer knows, you don't do that. There are
pointers involved that won't point to the same things when you retrieve
it from memory. This is one of the things that makes it so hard for
other programs to read the files, since to make sense of them, you have
to know the structures they were pointing to in the first place. Which
you don't, unless you have the Word source code. A real botch.

Paul