Re: [SLUG] ROTFL moment

From: bpreece1@tampabay.rr.com
Date: Fri Oct 25 2002 - 01:11:44 EDT

> A microsoft developer has told me that ms habitually breaks formats from
> version to version; an earlier version of an app cannot open a file
produced
> by the successive version. They want their suckers, I mean customers, to
> stroll through the Gates, down the garden path of forced upgrade.
> Smitty

I would say his info is yes and no. The older can open the newier providing
if the person using the newer
Version looks at the file save options. They ususlly have a combo option
such as Word 2000 and 97 then both will work fine. How ever if they just do
a save then it will be defualted to a 2000 version and thus 97 would not
read it.

With Xp 2k same thing. and now XP and XP 2002 which is out already.
The way the force stuff it by saying they no longer support it and you have
to constantly change with their
License EULA's <---- aka CRAP!

Also if you are a big organization then they will make sure you follow their
B$ rules or the will have you audited and fined.

This is why Ernie Ball Guitars switched to a total Linux and Open source
solution. They did not want to upgrade and thus what I mentioned is what
happend to them. They were stormed by Police and Fed's and given a huge
fine. Almost put the factory and 3000 out of jobs.

> On Thursday 24 October 2002 18:07, you wrote:
> > A bit off subject but I'll share it anyway.
> >
> > My boss sent me a microsoft word document today and when I started
> > microsoft word 2000 and attempted to open the file it responded with a
> > message something to the effect of invalid document and/or invalid name
> > and gave me a blank document. Double checked the name and it was ok.
> > Changed the name and tried again -- same thing. Word just couldn't do a
> > thing with that .doc file.
> >
> > I copied the .doc to my laptop (running Linux) and started StarOffice
> > 6.0. It opened the .doc just fine -- no problems. I haven't laughed
> > that hard in a long time! I did my work using StarOffice and went about
> > my business.

Usually the problem with this is the mere fact that some management people
do not know that if they run a newer version they have to save it as a older
file format to preserve the formating. If he was running Office Xp 2002
Office 2000 can not open the files if he did a standard save and send the
file. He would have to change the file save options to default to a
xp&2002.doc format.

How ever as Ed stated with StarOffice will read all of them. So will Open
Office.

Over at Walters we constantly had to instruct people when using the newier
version they have to RTFM when saving to older versions and yes they do not
understand the Terms. How ever most management types always wants the latest
and greatest and ASSUMES that all will be well. Then they expect the I.T.
Dept to fix the problem for them cause they are to lazy to learn.

> > I shared the fun with the rest of the office and now I shared it with
> > you all.
> >
> > Ed.

Thanks For the Story ED.