Re: [SLUG] ROTFL moment

From: bpreece1@tampabay.rr.com
Date: Fri Oct 25 2002 - 01:19:12 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Wright" <t.wright1@mindspring.com>
To: <slug@nks.net>
Sent: Thursday, October 24, 2002 9:59 PM
Subject: Re: [SLUG] ROTFL moment

> On Thursday 24 October 2002 18:07, you wrote:
> > A bit off subject but I'll share it anyway.
> >
> > My boss sent me a microsoft word document today and when I started
> > microsoft word 2000 and attempted to open the file it responded with a
> > message something to the effect of invalid document and/or invalid name
> > and gave me a blank document. Double checked the name and it was ok.
> > Changed the name and tried again -- same thing. Word just couldn't do a
> > thing with that .doc file.
> >
> > I copied the .doc to my laptop (running Linux) and started StarOffice
> > 6.0. It opened the .doc just fine -- no problems. I haven't laughed
> > that hard in a long time! I did my work using StarOffice and went about
> > my business.
> >
> > I shared the fun with the rest of the office and now I shared it with
> > you all.
> >
> > Ed.
>
> Another case of Microsoft being incompatible even with Microsoft. Their
> eternal upgrade and planned obsolescence rackets raise my hackles.

> Where I work, we've used PowerPoint as a Poor Man's CAD to make assembly
> instructions for the factory. The "new and improved" PowerPoint 97 won't
> print a lot of the old files from PowerPoint versions 3 and 4. We get
pages
> with only random pieces of the picture.

Power Point 97 New and improved hum that is like 5 years behind the times
and then with 3 and 4 that is 5 to 6 years before 97. Also 3 and 4 were win
3.11 and 97 is a 9x platform version. How ever you would think that they
would still work however the print engine for the 2 are completely
different. How ever I would think Open Office or Star Office sould work just
fine with them.

I know that Corel WP Office 2k Professional for Linux works fine with them
:-)