Re: [SLUG] need a demo

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Fri Oct 25 2002 - 10:15:31 EDT

On Friday 25 October 2002 08:54, Patrick Grantham \(at work\) wrote:
> I am hung on the registration of an NT-based box. Win95, 98, Me,
> authenticate "automatically, NT, 2K, XP do not. I an stuck on what ever
> has to be done on the samba box. A walk through by a guru, I would pay for
> a few pizzas.

Win95, 98, Me use plain text passwords (LANMAN) unless you install the
Directory Services update.

WinNT SP6a, Win2k SP3, and XP *do* use encrypted passwords by default
(NTLMv2).

This means that you must enable "encrypted passwords" for win NT boxen, and
disable it for win9x boxen.

Alternatively, you can disable encrypted passwords on NT boxen in the registry
so they act in the same (broken) way win9x boxen do.

This is THE MOST COMMON PROBLEM people face while trying to get Samba to work
properly. The second most common problem is smbpasswd.

        http://www.jsanten.demon.nl/samba/smb_conf_adv.htm

Google on "samba encrypted password" for more info.

- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net> <ian@blenke.com> http://ian.blenke.com