Re: [SLUG] Microtel 800 Mhz Lindows Box for $200 - No Monitor

From: Robin 'Roblimo' Miller (robin@roblimo.com)
Date: Sun Oct 27 2002 - 23:22:27 EST

>If one can buy a complete computer for $200 or $250 with Mandrake preinstalled
>and set up while it cost $159 for a professional RH box set or $39 for an
>individual box set plus the equipment cost then it would appear that there is
>significant price discrepancy in what one can buy components equipment and
>OSs for and assembled hard ware with the OS preinstalled for.

My friend Joe (http://amnet-comp.com) gets components a lot cheaper than
you or I because he's in the business of making computers
and buys a lot more than we do.

Microtel buys a lot more than Joe.

On the OS side, if Mandrake personal is $39 or so *boxed through a
retailer* why shouldn't it be $10 per copy to Microtel, possibly even
less. Windows XP personal typically OEMs in the $50 range for anyone who
buys a significant quantity, but it retails for a lot more than that. (I
haven't priced it.)

Microtel gets Lindows free - in fact I believe they get paid to put it
on - because Lindows gets its money through Clink-n-crawl
subscriptions, and you've darn near got to buy one to get the software
you need. (So unless you know how to use apt, the Lindows "$200
computer" really costs $300 -- and another $100 per year forever!)

Lycoris is also now available form Microtel. This would be my pick for a
new user, btw.

- Robin