Re: [SLUG] Microtel 800 Mhz Lindows Box for $200 - No Monitor

From: Darr Palmer (darr@darrpalmer.com)
Date: Mon Oct 28 2002 - 06:47:05 EST

We have sold a few of these VIA processor motherboard PC's. So far the
general consensus seems to be that it is extremely underpowered. I will
try to bring home one this coming weekend and try to put it through its
paces.

The price is great for a reason.

If any of you folks out there remember "Muntz TV's" you can relate to
what I mean.

Mr. Muntz would go out and buy one each of the new model tv's. He would
then systematically go through the circuits and clip or unsolder various
components until he had a version that although not as stable as the big
name brand units, had the same creature features but could be sold for a
lot less. Unfortunately most of the components that were missing were
in there for compensation as different components aged. Hence although
it was cheaper up front. As the TV aged, you had to take it to the
repair shop more often for alignment (unless you were an aspiring young
(10 to 14 year old) technician, in that case you would watch what the
technician was adjusting each time, then you could fix it yourself.)

These new VIA motherboard units have the processor built into the
motherboard, seems to be some minor compatibility issues, and of course
if the processor goes, so goes the motherboard.

IMHO

Darr