Re: [SLUG] A beginners question

From: Levi Bard (levi@bard.sytes.net)
Date: Mon Oct 28 2002 - 15:33:10 EST

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002 14:58:44 -0500
Jeff <jdavis70@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> Syd Alsobrook wrote:

> >>This is a morbid joke, right?
> >>
> >>Debian for a newbie? Only if you enjoy giving yourself rootcannals on a
> >>regular basis.
> >>

> >I started with debian as a newbie in '97 and I have never looked back. If you
> >want to learn fast and not just replace your winblows box then debian is the
> >right choice. I learned so much that I was able to transition to Solaris and
> >much higher paying job rather easily.
> >
> >Syd
> >

> If you try Debian on a laptop the only thing that you will learn
> fast is that Debian is not ready for laptops :)
> Jeff

My experience is similar to Syd's. Debian (2.2/potato) was one of my first installs, on a laptop (Compaq Presario 1247). I found the installation to be every bit as easy as Redhat's. I booted the first CD, let it walk me through partitioning (I already had the worthless "restore" partition with which to play), selected the things I wanted installed, and let it crank away. Gnome-apt was every bit as easy and intuitive for me as gnome-rpm or gnorpm or whatever redhat had at that time. The hardware all worked (integrated touchpad, via 686 soundcard, pcmcia 10/100 nic, usb (with install of the 2.2 kernel usb backport, which is no longer necessary)) This laptop still has Debian on it, although I have since used apt to upgrade to sid.

Of course some people don't/won't like Debian, and that's fine, but I don't think Debian should be an automatic rule-out for newbies.

Levi