Re: [SLUG] Need Constructive Critism

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Mon Oct 28 2002 - 18:24:27 EST

On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 08:15:28AM -0500, Ronan Heffernan wrote:

> >People get all excited about glitz. Forget it. Flaming logos and such
> >aren't needed. A website is about information. They either want your
> >information or they don't. Glitz doesn't matter. Yes, you want to make
> >it attractive, but it doesn't have to be flashy to be attractive. Good
> >organization and readability is more important than glitz. You're doing
> >fine so far.
> >
> >Paul
>

> Paul,
> You are thinking like an engineer (me too!) Most people care at
> least as much about the form as the content (witness AOL). Superior
> information, presented in a clear, organized fashion, might draw fewer
> hits and less participation (among non-engineers) than some
> heavily-themed eye candy. Sad but true.

Well, for what it's worth, I'm in this business. I do websites (among
other things) for a living. And we simply won't do flashy garbage on
sites we build. (Oh, I suppose there _might_ be a site someday where
flashy is really the way to go. In which case, we'll do it.)

Art's nice and has its place-- in museums. Not on web browsers. Yes of
course you want your site to be aesthetic. But your task as a web
designer is to ensure that your client's product or service is easy to
buy/understand, not give art school dropouts something to do while
they're trying to imitate Jackson Pollack in their spare time.

And nothing aggravates me more than sites where you can't find what
you're looking for. Argh! Organize it properly and give me a simple way
to get to it. And while you're at it, I'd prefer if you make it visually
pleasing and not suck cycles by displaying flaming rotating whatevers.

Paul