Re: [SLUG] A beginners question

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Mon Oct 28 2002 - 18:32:25 EST

On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 12:09:09PM -0500, Norbert Cartagena wrote:

> Syd Alsobrook wrote:
> >On Monday 28 October 2002 10:07, you wrote:
> >
> >>I am a curious linux user I have a question were can
> >>you get a free version of linux ? what brand of linux
> >>is better susu mandrake Redhat ??
> >

> >http://www.debian.org
> >

> This is a morbid joke, right?
>
> Debian for a newbie? Only if you enjoy giving yourself rootcannals on a
> regular basis.

I prefer self-administered tatoos, personally. ;-}

I run Debian everywhere I can, but I don't recommend it for newbies.
It's extremely configurable, but mostly requires knowledge of command
line utilities and text config files. The install is tedious as hell.
It's really a geek's distro. Now, if you're an enterprising newbie, and
you're not afraid to get your hands extremely dirty and ask a lot of
dumb questions and persist until you get it, then Debian could work for
a newbie. But I don't recommend it unless I see that a person has a
Unix background or is extremely technically savvy.

Paul