Re: [SLUG] A beginners question

From: Levi Bard (levi@bard.sytes.net)
Date: Wed Oct 30 2002 - 13:35:45 EST

> Finally, I agree with the BSD point, but I disagree with the server point.
> I think a server is supposed to be even more updated that a normal
> workstation. There are different factors that influence in that for
> example security.

Sure, you do security updates, but installing the latest version of apache or postfix isn't likely to require rebuilding thirty or fifty libraries, like, for instance, installing a GNOME application, which requires new versions of gnome libs, which in turn requires new versions of libpng, libxpm, orbit, which in turn have their own dependencies, and so on. The point to which I came was that I was spending much more time building and upgrading software (this was a pentium-pro 200 machine) than I was actually using the system. That's really what pushed me to move that machine to Debian. I can build and install all the software I want, but I'm not forced to waste all my cycles compiling dependency trees; I can use them for actual work. I'm not flaming Slackware - it's a fine distribution. However, someone asked why it's not "popular" or "advocated" like, say, RedHat, and I gave some reasons.

Levi