Re: [SLUG] A beginners question

From: Diego Henao (webmaster@bloodhound.slyip.com)
Date: Wed Oct 30 2002 - 10:05:57 EST

I have heard those questions too many times. My understanding is that
Linux is Linux. Although, each distribution is made with different
characteristics, the essence is the same. I think Linux fits in the human
being life because there are too many different choices to start using it.
As Human beings, there is not any special standard to describe their
preferences. I started using Slackware as my first distribution. I need to
accept that for me that it was the best choice I could make in terms of
knowledge. When you start using Slackware you learn every single thing in
Linux because you need to do everything by yourself. When that happened I
was in high school and I was plenty of time. On the other hand, when you
are talking about businesses; you must have everything done in minutes.
Even when you are an adult, you don’t have the time that Slackware
demands. I like it, but you can use other distributions and you can
determine the grade of automatization you will like in them. I have
Redhat, and I still use the console a lot, as a matter of fact, I like to
use the console when we are talking about setting anything in my Linux.

Finally, I agree with the BSD point, but I disagree with the server point.
I think a server is supposed to be even more updated that a normal
workstation. There are different factors that influence in that for
example security.

Regards

Diego Henao