Re: [SLUG] A beginners question

From: Levi Bard (levi@bard.sytes.net)
Date: Wed Oct 30 2002 - 00:35:36 EST

> I regret that that I don't have a single friend that use LINUX,
>
> let alone use it exclusively, but I have been Slackware 100% from 1997
> and I don't understand:
> Why no one on any list I am on is an advocate of Slack.
> Why no one on any list I am on even mentions Slack.
> What would be so difficult about one distribution compared
> to others? The only difference I have read of, is the installation programs.

I can't speak for anyone except myself, but in my opinion Slackware lacks something nearly every other mainstream Linux distribution has: advanced package management. I maintained a Slackware 7.1 desktop machine for a while, but I got tired of having to upgrade all my libraries manually from source, keeping track of all my own dependencies, every time I installed a new application.

I know of someone who runs a script that uses apt-get and alien to download software, convert it to slack-tgzs, and install it, but that seems like a silly amount of overhead to me when one could use a distribution that has that capability natively. Of course, for a server or something where the software is going to remain static, Slackware would work as well as anything else.

As an additional factor, I have observed that people who like Slackware have a tendency to eventually gravitate to a BSD and become BSD advocates.

Levi