Re: [SLUG] No response to question

From: R P Herrold (herrold@owlriver.com)
Date: Wed Oct 30 2002 - 00:49:45 EST

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, Thomas Ringate wrote:

> says here are all the packages you do not have installed on your machine.
>
> How does it show you the packages that are not on your system? Not those
> that are out of date, but those that are not installed at all. This is the
> function I am looking for. gnorpm had it with the WEB FIND function.

There is a package - rpm-packages <from memory -- I am away
from an X term> -- which inventories all Red Hat offerings and
is queried by the up2date client locally as a package source,
and contains all the rpm -qi and dependency information. Some
others exist, with all variants of which I am aware
inventoried at the RPM website.

As indicated, I use a mirror with several archives, Freshmeat,
Google, and as I think of it, mailing lists for scouting
interesting offerings. 'WORKS FOR ME' in bugzilla bug
resolution form.

> Please explain you statement "... better test the tool. This is not the
> case", how are you getting it to show you the packages that are not
> installed on your system? This is the help I need.

As above -- add the index package - use Google; build what
interests you. *nix is a tool-builder culture; Apple Mac or
Microsoft Windows are more tool-user oriented.

> I did go to the rpmfind site, as suggested, and it does give the total
> listing of all the packages. It was not as automated as the old gnorpm web
> find function was, in that you could not just click on a button and install
> the desired package. In my view this is a step backwards. Adding more
> steps to accomplish the end result is not progress to the average PC user.

<yawn> As before -- Have at it; scratch that itch.

> Here is a quote directly from the Red Hat site which talks to this very
> point.
>
> "With this release we have given more attention than ever before to
> usability", said Erik Troan, senior director of product marketing at Red
> Hat. "Red Hat Linux 8.0 demonstrates that we can deliver great new
> functionality for hobbyists and professionals and at the same time make the
> product much more friendly for mainstream users."
>
> That's what I am, a "mainstream user".

Ask EWT -- It's his marketing quote. Me? dunno what a
'mainstream user' is. Don't have a marketing dept doing
surveys and usage studies.

> > As to the non-continuance of gnorpm, it was mentioned in the
> > release notes -- ipse dixit.

> That explains why it no longer works in release 8.0, but not why it stopped
> working in releases before that.

dunno -- as before, check the Bugzilla or Google -- I am
uninterested in digging out the answer ... you may be. The
fact that there was 'No response to question' is a hint

> One last question, just to show my ignorance, what does "ipse dixit" mean
> anyway?

'ipse dixit' -- 'the thing itself speaks' (a reflexive form in
Latin, translated in context) -- here: the release notes state
the answer. Is this really something Google would not have
answered?

-- Russ Herrold