Re: [SLUG] A beginners question

From: Greg Schmidt (slugmail@gschmidt.net)
Date: Wed Oct 30 2002 - 01:45:58 EST

On Wed, 30 Oct 2002, Ronald KA4INM Youvan wrote:

> ...but I have been Slackware 100% from 1997
> and I don't understand:

<snip>
> Why any distribution lacking, say laptop support, cant the user get
> the drivers other distributions use and get going the same?

You really do use Slackware! :)

The SLUG site says _Real_ men use Slackware.

http://www.suncoastlug.org/distros.html

It was the first disto I ever tried, several years ago. I think the init
scripts set it apart from most others. And it don't need no stinking
package management system junk. Take your broken RPM GUI interfaces and
dependencies and your apt get and get out. We toss tarballs here. I
installed it again about a year ago just for kicks. It was probably the
first major distro to come out with the 2.4 kernel with the firewalling
iptables stuff in it. I think that's why I was playing with it again.
It is the most "accessible" distro I've seen. Everything is laid wide
open for you to twink and twiddle as you like. But twinking and twiddling
might you very well be doing. It doesn't try to be "everyman's Linux",
like, say RH or Mandrake. It doesn't expect you to use the distro
maker's GUI config tools. Like Mandrake and some others, and unlike SuSE
and some others, iso images to burn your own install CDs are readily
available for the price of an FTP download. It has a smaller, but devoted
following. The support discussion board is friendly and helpful. I liked
the documentation; it is clean, brief, and to-the-point. The same
document that says how to install it also says "Building your own kernel
is not that hard," and then goes on to explain how, complete with
everything you should need to type at the command line. I don't know of
any other major distro that includes kernel compile instructions with the
newbie install instructions. It's just like they expect you to want to do
that kind of stuff. Mr. Patrick Volkerding has some serious hair on his
butt and makes a fine distro. I read he's making a decent living at it
too. Good for him.