Re: [SLUG] No response to question

From: Thomas Ringate (tringate@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Oct 29 2002 - 13:48:16 EST

> On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, Thomas Ringate wrote:
>
> > up2date isn't at all what my question is about. That simply updates
what I
> > already have on the system, and has no function, to my knowledge, to
tell
> > you about the hundreds of packages you don't have installed.
>
> ... better test the tool. This is not the case.

OK, when I click on the RHN Update Agent, it does not give me a panel that
says here are all the packages you do not have installed on your machine.

Here is what Red Hat says this tool is:

"After configuring the settings for the Red Hat Update Agent using the
instructions in Chapter 3, you can use the Red Hat Update Agent to retrieve
the latest software packages from Red Hat. Using this tool will allow you to
always have the most up-to-date Red Hat Linux system with all security
patches, bug fixes, and software package enhancements. It must be run on the
system you wish to update.

Remember that you can not use the Red Hat Update Agent on the system if it
is not entitled to an RHN service offering. "

How does it show you the packages that are not on your system? Not those
that are out of date, but those that are not installed at all. This is the
function I am looking for. gnorpm had it with the WEB FIND function.

Just to be safe, I went to:
 On the GNOME desktop, go to the Main Menu Button (on the Panel) => Programs
=> System => Update Agent Configuration
and made sure there was no option something like "show all NOT installed
packages".

Please explain you statement "... better test the tool. This is not the
case", how are you getting it to show you the packages that are not
installed on your system? This is the help I need.

I did go to the rpmfind site, as suggested, and it does give the total
listing of all the packages. It was not as automated as the old gnorpm web
find function was, in that you could not just click on a button and install
the desired package. In my view this is a step backwards. Adding more
steps to accomplish the end result is not progress to the average PC user.

Here is a quote directly from the Red Hat site which talks to this very
point.

"With this release we have given more attention than ever before to
usability", said Erik Troan, senior director of product marketing at Red
Hat. "Red Hat Linux 8.0 demonstrates that we can deliver great new
functionality for hobbyists and professionals and at the same time make the
product much more friendly for mainstream users."

That's what I am, a "mainstream user".

> As to the non-continuance of gnorpm, it was mentioned in the
> release notes -- ipse dixit.

That explains why it no longer works in release 8.0, but not why it stopped
working in releases before that.
To not include something is one issue, to abandon an application, and remove
the remote functions of that application is another issue. I understand an
application can be abandon, so all former versions of it will stop working,
but I think it could be better explained that the application has been
abandon, rather than just saying it wasn't included. I kind of feel for the
folks who were using the tool one day on say release 7.1, and then the next
day it no longer worked because release 8.0 came out and eliminated the
tool. I believe that is what you are telling me, since it does not work on
releases 7.0, and 7.1 for me.

BTW is this list only for questions on release 8.0? If it is, then I am
sorry for taking the time of the list readers. I though the list was for
all versions of linux, and for all reasonably current releases of a version.
I would not expect anyone to respond to a question on RH 5.1.

One last question, just to show my ignorance, what does "ipse dixit" mean
anyway?

Tom