Re: [SLUG] ISP

From: Thomas Ringate (tringate@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Oct 30 2002 - 17:26:02 EST

I've been with RR for somewhere around five years now, and there are not any
ports blocked that I can see.

The IP address is mapped to your nic cards mac address, so if you happen to
have a couple of different PC's or have two mac cards in your PC you can
easily see this take place by switching between the different nic cards that
connect to your cable modem.

I think it's been about 4 months since the last IP address change happened
to my service, and that took place right after a major over night outage in
my area.

When I was talking to the security folks at RR about a year ago, about an
attack on my home system, we discussed port blocking, and their comment was
that RR did not block any ports. They relied on people abiding by the TOS,
but if there were any complaints, and the use of servers caused the
complaint, then the TOS would be used to terminate the service.

I think they believe that most of us would not try to run a business from
home using the residential service to avoid paying a higher price. Those
who do, would of course run the risk of loosing their internet service,
which most likely would impact their business in a negative way.

Running a server to give FTP access to some files you are working on with
someone else is an actual violation of the TOS, but running something like
Newsbin Pro to suck down every binary news group, and letting it run 24/7
which would totally suck up all the bandwidth is not a violation of the TOS.
Go figure.

I think RR understands most of us are trying to be good users of a shared
resource, and I think that is why they do not block ports.

This has been my observation of the RR service.

Tom