Re: [SLUG] ISP

From: Greg Schmidt (slugmail@gschmidt.net)
Date: Wed Oct 30 2002 - 17:56:39 EST

On Wed, 30 Oct 2002, Diego Henao wrote:

> I am trying to get a static ip. I am a Road Runner costumer, but I just
> have the Residential service. They told me that I need to update my
> service to the business plan to get the Static IP. I don't what to do
> that. On the other hand, if I will get another plan, I will take the plan
> that Verizon is offering for the static ip.
>
> Any suggestions I will appreciate that.
>
> Regards
>
> Diego Henao

When I first moved to Tampa I spent about a year and a half in an
apartment. RR changed the address often. Sometimes twice in one day if
they were having outages. They even changed the subnet mask at least
once. I don't think I ever kept an address for more than two months. I
was getting 3 addresses and sometimes all 3 were on different subnets
with 2 different masks. They also had reliability problems, and I was
seriously considering DSL. This was in the Carrolwood area.

Moved into a house last May in Town & Country area. I think RR has had at
most one outage I noticed outside their scheduled maintenance window
(Mondays 3:00 AM to 6:00 AM). TECO drops the load much more often. I am
much happier with RR these days. I even shutdown the shell scripts I
was running to ping them and log the outages. The two addresses I'm
getting now have not changed since they first came from the DHCP server
in May. I'm running a little web server and MTA. It doesn't look like
they are blocking any ports. The link regularly tests to over 1Mbs,
sometimes it hits 2Mbs, but it's usually nearly as good as a T1 at a
fraction of the cost. Even though DSL should have less latency and
guaranteed minimum bandwidth, the pipe Verizon was willing to sell me was
smaller and more expensive.

You might not really need a static IP. There are several dynamic DNS
services.

Good luck,
Greg