[SLUG] Backup

From: Diego Henao (webmaster@bloodhound.slyip.com)
Date: Fri Nov 01 2002 - 11:22:21 EST

Hi everybody,

I have a question about a script that I want to do for backing up a couple
of directories. I have 2 cabolt servers. I want to take the dns entries
and the directories that are hosting my client's websites. I have thought
the algorithm as the follow:

1. First make a tar of the /etc/named and the /home directories. Obviously
I don't need the logs from each website. I don't know how to avoid the
compression of those files ( I need to keep the same structure of each
directory, I think tar does that automatically). Also, what files do I
need to have in the backup to update the dns entries?
2. Use the scp command to move the file from server 1 to server 2.
3. Add a cron line according with the necesities.
4. In server 2 create a script to descompress the file. I don't know how
to tell the script that I need to send and email to the administrator
telling him that the file is corrupted.

Any Ideas.

If you know any application that may do that; let me know.

Best of regards

Diego Henao