Re: [SLUG] Verizon and SMTP

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Fri Nov 01 2002 - 18:46:37 EST

On Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 11:21:12AM -0500, Derek Glidden wrote:

> On Thu, 2002-10-31 at 13:53, rhires@earthlink.net wrote:
> > Hey Everyone,
> >
> > I've been silent for a while, since SMTP doesn't work for me right
> now under
> > Verizon's network. That is, when I send mail via SMTP (which I had
> been doing
> > before under Earthlink's DSL), it seems to drop off into oblivion. It
> worked
> > before under earthlink...I still am using my earthlink account for
> sending and
> > receiving mail...I guess verizon doesn't want to pass mail through
> its network
> > bound for earthlink and the to the rest of the net? Can anyone shed
> some light
> > on this?
>
> my parents were using Verizon here in Tampa. As far as I can tell,
> anything sent through their network on SMTP silently disappears unless
> it's sent directly through Verizon's SMTP servers.
>
> That means you can't put up your own local mail server and expect mail
> to be delivered through Verizon. You MUST contact Verizon's own SMTP
> servers to send email. The problem with that is that you can only send
> mail through Verizon's SMTP servers if your "FROM" address is your
> Verizon email address. So if, like my parents, you have an account
> somewhere else like [someone]@thegliddens.org, you can't send email
> through Verizon using that address because the SMTP servers will deny
> it.

This is weird. I wonder how I can do this on Verizon here in New Port
Richey, and your parents can't? My SMTP server is
mail.quillandmouse.com on a remote internet host, but my access is via
Verizon DSL. I have no problems. I always kinda figured that Verizon
just acted like a pipe and didn't look at any of the packets. Yet it
seems they do in some other places. Am I thinking right about this?

Paul