Re: [SLUG] Verizon and SMTP

From: R.G. Mayhue (r.g.mayhue@verizon.net)
Date: Fri Nov 01 2002 - 20:55:37 EST

On Friday 01 November 2002 06:46 pm, you wrote:

> > That means you can't put up your own local mail server and expect
> > mail to be delivered through Verizon. You MUST contact Verizon's
> > own SMTP servers to send email. The problem with that is that
> > you can only send mail through Verizon's SMTP servers if your
> > "FROM" address is your Verizon email address. So if, like my
> > parents, you have an account somewhere else like
> > [someone]@thegliddens.org, you can't send email through Verizon
> > using that address because the SMTP servers will deny it.
>
> This is weird. I wonder how I can do this on Verizon here in New
> Port Richey, and your parents can't? My SMTP server is
> mail.quillandmouse.com on a remote internet host, but my access is
> via Verizon DSL. I have no problems. I always kinda figured that
> Verizon just acted like a pipe and didn't look at any of the
> packets. Yet it seems they do in some other places. Am I thinking
> right about this?
>
> Paul

I don't think the problem is running an SMTP server to send and
receive mail (at least not on my account because I do it all the
time) but rather using Verizon's SMTP servers.

I run an SMTP server on my Verizon account here in New Port Richey and
I send and receive mail with no problems, but (as Derek stated) if I
use Verizon's SMTP servers to send mail the "FROM" address _MUST BE_
my Verizon e-mail address below or it will be dropped.

If this is an attempt to stop SPAM, I can attest to the fact that it
sure doesn't work very well :))

--
R.G. Mayhue
r.g.mayhue@verizon.net