Re: [SLUG] Sending Mail...works for now

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Mon Nov 04 2002 - 09:45:10 EST

> I was disgusted, while using GTE and winblows 3.1 when their reason my
> E-mail box being constantly empty, even after I sent myself E-mail from my
> backup ISP (the Suncoast Freenet) was because I had installed windows
> on my "E" drive instead of my "C" drive, I was told: "windows must be
> installed on the "C" drive to work properly, that is your problem." The
> fact that it has always been there and the E-mail constipation was a new
> problem didn't change their opinion.
> I did not move it, and a day or two later I had over 300 pieces of
> E-mail waiting for me.

I've learned a valuable lesson about dealing with such folks:

        "Yes, it's installed on C: correctly. Hell, sure, I can re-install it.."
        *humming silently to self, twiddling thumbs, playing with Gnome settings*
        "There. It's re-installed. Same problem. It's on your end, not mine."

When you know more about the underlying protocols than the techs on the phone
will ever hope to, fibbing is your only hope for a sane solution to your
problem. Giving them a hard time or acting holier than thou only drives them
to get you off the phone as quickly as possible, usually with no problem
resolution whatsoever. Feed into their delusion: guide them toward the true
solution to the problem.

And if the tech tells you to "reinstall windows" anyway, get their supervisor
on the phone or just hang up and quit wasting your time.

--
- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net>

(This message bound by the following: http://www.nks.net/email_disclaimer.html)