Re: [SLUG] Verizon and SMTP

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Mon Nov 04 2002 - 10:44:46 EST

On Saturday 02 November 2002 01:21, bpreece1@tampabay.rr.com wrote:
> It does not matter whether you are using Dial up or Broad Band.
> Verizon does not have anything to do with weather you can get into
> another's SMTP. They only monitor their own.

Verizon doesn't do "Broad Band" (DSL isn't like cable BroadBand, it's a
point-to-point connection with a DSLAM), but their marketing does call it
that. Really, Broadband and Baseband are old terms that have largely lost any
of their original meaning. In a way, DSL is technically broadband (multiple
parallel carrier frequencies existing on the same wire).

Using their ISP service, Verizon *can* filter ports and otherwise intercept
SMTP traffic and refuse to carry it. If you're using an alternate DSL IP
provider (which generally use Verizon's DSLAMs with a Frame or ATM peering),
then you wouldn't have this problem. Just as TimeWarner allows others to
resell their BroadBand service, Verizon does the same. If you're not happy
with Verizon's IP service, you can use one of the dozen others in the area
that will carry your traffic without incident over the exact same network.

> How ever with most isp's you can receive by remote but not send.
> This means for instance right now I have both Road Runner and
> Mindspring/Earthlink.
> I can get pop 3 from Mindspring/Earthlink thru Road Runner but again can
> not send.

Are you subscribing to Earthlink's BroadBand service, or are you subscribing
to RoadRunner's BroadBand service and using pop3 on your Earthlink account?

If you're using a RoadRunner IP address, you should be able to use a
RoadRunner SMTP relay. I honestly don't know if they also require the message
to be coming from a "user@tampabay.rr.com" address as well. They seem to
allow outbound SMTP direct (not filtered like Verizon), which is what I use
for all mail at home.

If you're being assigned an EarthLink IP address, then you would need to use
your EarthLink SMTP relay. I'd like to hear if this is actually happening.
>From my DOCSIS DHCP lease sniffs, I haven't a clue as to the public IP
addresses being assigned to TimeWarner customers - only the RFC1918 private
10.x network addresses.

> Mindspring/earthlink does not want you to be able to use SMTP as stated by
> IAN because they feel this will
> control Spam. How ever we all know that is Bull as also stated.

I stated this? Perhaps a while back.

They are indeed attempting to stop spamming from their BroadBand customers.
I'm not sure how this is bull. If you can't send SMTP mail, you can't send
SMTP mail. Period. The only hope you have is to find a relay/gateway on
another network and use non-SMTP filtered ports to relay mail through it.
This effectively kills all spam originating directly from Verizon's IP
network

If you don't like it, don't pay for their service. I wouldn't ;)

> I can also access Mindspring/Earthlink Pop3 Remote through Verizons but
> again no SMTP!

So, in order to send mail through Verizon's restricted relay, you must use
your @verizon.com customer assigned email address? Sounds like a good
anti-spam measure to me.

People who use unencrypted pop3 mail over the Internet proper scare the hell
out of me anyway. This isn't targeted at any one person - I'm amazed at the
general lack of concern about passwords and unencrypted email being sent in
the clear across the backbone. It personally scares the living hell out of
me.

> Now if you have your own server set up then you set the permissions as to
> what get's through from what Domain. Unless they decide to filter your
> domain from their access which they usually will not bother.
> Because it is not there servers in this Scenario.

To "filter your domain', they would need to add a router ACL to limit access
to a given IP/IP:port. As this is not truely a security concern, and ACLs
only eat up router memory and slow down traffic, why would they add this to
block a single external relay on a non-standard port? It simply cannot make
sense for them to do so. Hurray for us.

It is true, though, as soon as the mail is bounced through an external
non-standard mail gateway it is no longer their network acting as a relay,
which removes their culpability as a spam source.

--
- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net>

(This message bound by the following: http://www.nks.net/email_disclaimer.html)