Re: [SLUG] CPU Socket

From: sanity (m9u35@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Nov 04 2002 - 13:26:01 EST

AMD recommends using thermal pads--which you are--but they are not optimal.
The reason AMD recommends the use of pads instead of grease is that they are
worried about the grease getting into the CPU. If you do not change the
grease about every year, you run the risk of shorting your CPU if the grease
leaks into it.

The reason higher-quality greases matter is that they have finer material
that better fills the microscopic gaps. Also, they have better material
to conduct heat.

--j