Re: [SLUG] CPU Socket

From: Ronald KA4INM Youvan (ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Mon Nov 04 2002 - 23:07:42 EST

> AMD recommends using thermal pads--which you are--but they are not optimal.
> The reason AMD recommends the use of pads instead of grease is that they are
> worried about the grease getting into the CPU. If you do not change the
> grease about every year, you run the risk of shorting your CPU if the grease
> leaks into it.

   If they are so worried about the grease leaking into the CPU,
I would think they would seal them so it can't get in there.

> The reason higher-quality greases matter is that they have finer material
> that better fills the microscopic gaps. Also, they have better material
> to conduct heat.

   If a higher quality grease than is supplied with the heat sink is desired
I would think they would only approve heat sinks that supply said higher
quality grease.

   Although I am using one, and I saved about $300 in purchasing this 1 gig
AMD CPU 2 years ago, I am not too impressed with their thinking, or lack there of.

        73 (= Best Regards) de: Ron ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com
     100% LINUX, since July, 1997 SENT Time and Date are UTC
        Visit my HAM Web SITE at: http://www.qsl.net/ka4inm