Re: [SLUG] Staying connected

From: Smitty (a.smitty@verizon.net)
Date: Mon Nov 04 2002 - 14:04:32 EST

> There are three major players when it comes to DHCP clients:
>
> 1) dhclient
> 2) pump
> 3) dhcpcd
>
> From experience, I prefer dhclient. It always works, and has no problems
> with multiple interfaces. Painless, simple, I can't recommend it enough.

Where can one find it?

> Pump has a nasty tendency to get seriously confused when there is more than
> one network interface on a box. Once upon a time, I used pump. Now I know
> better. RedHat derived boxen tend to use it by default (why, I ask?)
>
> As for dhcpcd, I've had varying problems with it as well the few times I've
> attempted to use it. Whereas pump will generally get a lease regardless on
> a single-homed box, dhcpcd tends to be finicky about obtaining a lease at
> all. Because of these experiences, I don't recommend it., but many others
> seem to have no problems.

Ditto. dhcpcd is unreliable at obtaining ip address leases. I have been
using it for over a week now, thinking the problem was with Verizon.
no, I usually have to manually start it with dhcpcd -dn to get it to grab an
address. When it is up and running there are no problems, but when you boot
up the next morning, dhcpcd is still half asleep.