Re: [SLUG] Exim Config Help?

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Tue Nov 05 2002 - 18:43:58 EST

On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 01:32:16AM -0500, Russell Hires wrote:

> > (You're up too late, my friend ;-)
> >
> > I'm still fuzzy about your connection. Tell me if this is right:
> >
> > 1. You're using Verizon DSL for access.
> Right.
> > 2. You're using earthlink's SMTP to send mail.
> Yes.
> > 3. Verizon won't pass the SMTP connection packets on to Earthlink's SMTP
> > server.
> This is correct. I figured a way around this one, though, with the help of
> Earthlink's tech support. (Shameless plug for them, BTW, as they all seem to
> know Linux, and were able to assist me without flinching when I told them I
> use kmail...) They told me I could use smtpauth.earthlink.net along with my
> username (my full email address) and password.

This really sounds weird. See, if Verizon won't pass the port 25
packets, they shouldn't do it with SMTPAUTH packets either. Just
doesn't make sense. I wonder if you couldn't send mail before because
you have to do a POP3 with Earthlink before you send mail. Most ISPs I
know of do this. They want you to POP3 your inbound mail, and they'll
hold the SMTP connection open for 15 minutes or so after that, to
allow you to send mail. Of course, SMTPAUTH is superior to this scheme,
so I suppose it's okay.

Paul