[SLUG] Formating a 1.44 floppy

From: Brother Joseph (irisinc@tbi.net)
Date: Wed Nov 06 2002 - 16:27:43 EST

I have read three Unix/Linux books each three (3) inches thick looking for
information about how to format a 1.44 floppy disk and what I want to know
seems to be a well kept secret.

It seems I want to format a 1.44 floppy disk for use with ext2, ffs and
ext3 file systems among others. I also want to do this from the command
line; no GUI's please. The DOS format has the nasty habit of limiting the
file names to the 8+3 character name and in some cases transposing upper
case letters for lower case letters.

I have been advised that I may have to use fdisk but no one was kind enough
to include the necessary commands. The man page for fdisk ( programmers
manual page) is written in the usual manner of man pages, (beyond my
ability to comprehend) so it is not too much help to me.

Can anyone explain how to format a 1.44 floppy disk using a Unix and or
Linux file system and how to do this explained in plain English?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Joe

...for friendships that are gained by money, not by greatness and nobility
of spirit, may well be earned but cannot be kept; and in time of need, they
will have fled your purse.

                                                                        Niccolo Machiavelli