Re: [SLUG] Dumb Mail Question

From: Matt Miller (mmiller1@mptotalcare.com)
Date: Wed Nov 06 2002 - 15:58:22 EST

On Fri, 2002-11-01 at 01:40, Paul M Foster wrote:
> This is going to be a really dumb mail question, I'm sure.
>
> Say I have two machines on a network, alfa and bravo. Both are running
> sendmail/exim/postfix. Both know the existence of the other machine
> (hosts file). If I send mail from alfa to paulf@bravo, will the MTA on
> bravo pick it up and route it to the proper mailbox? In other words,
> will email sent out on the LAN wire to a specific machine be snagged by
> the MTA on that machine? This could be useful for having, say, syslogs
> periodically emailed to another machine on the LAN.

Most MTA's have an option to set what names/domains for which it will
accept local mail. In other words, I could configure alfa to accept mail
for bravo if I wish, but by default it won't. If paul@alfa sends mail to
paul@bravo, and host alfa knows how to get to host bravo, mail should
move between hosts without any additional configuration.

In sendmail, you have the "local-host-names" file. In exim, the
exim.conf file has a line labeled "local_domains =". Both of these serve
the same functions -- to define what host names the host will accept
local mail for. To go even further, sendmail has the optional
mailertable, in which you can specify what host to send mail to
depending on the host/domain suffix.

HTH

--
Matt Miller