[SLUG] New to SLUG

From: Vince Meiste (vince.meiste@gte.net)
Date: Thu Nov 07 2002 - 08:51:02 EST

Hi Everybody,

I'm new to SLUG and have been reading your posts for a week or so. I
have a sort of basic question for you all. I've been working with
computers since '74, as a programmer,systems programmer and for the last
10 years as a Unix System Admin (Solaris & AIX), so I'm not really a
newbie. I have been playing around with Linux for the last 6 or 7
years, but it hasn't been until the last year or so that I've gotten
more serious about it. I'm using Redhat 8.0 on an IBM Thinkpad T21
laptop. I have a home ethernet network set up with a hub connecting the
laptop to a DSL (Verizon) modem to the Internet. I also have a desktop
PC running Windows 2000 connected to the hub, and a printer connected to
the PC. I would like to be able to access shared files/folders on the
Windows 2000 PC and also the printer on that machine with my RH Linux
system on the laptop. What's the best and easiest way to do this? I
know a little about Samba, but am not an expert in it by any means. Is
Samba the route to go or is there an easier way to share files and
printers between my systems?

Thanks everybody for your help in advance. Hopefully I'll be able to
contribute some to this group in the future.

Vince
vince.meiste@gte.net
New Port Richey, FL