Re: [SLUG] New to SLUG

From: Ronan Heffernan (ronan@iotcorp.com)
Date: Thu Nov 07 2002 - 04:51:28 EST

> I would like to be able to access shared files/folders on the
> Windows 2000 PC and also the printer on that machine with my RH Linux
> system on the laptop. What's the best and easiest way to do this? I
> know a little about Samba, but am not an expert in it by any means. Is
> Samba the route to go or is there an easier way to share files and
> printers between my systems?

Samba is the package that you use to make your Linux computer share its
files and printers via the SMB protocol. You want the opposite, where
Linux is the client and Windows is the server. You can mount a Windows
share with something like:

  mount -t smbfs -o username=tridge,password=foobar //fjall/test /data/test

There is a utility called smbspool which will let you send print jobs
from Linux to a Windows-shared printer. Look at the smbspool man page
for details.

--ronan