Re: [SLUG] user file question

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sun Nov 10 2002 - 22:03:20 EST

On Sun, Nov 10, 2002 at 09:57:00PM -0500, Smitty wrote:

> It turns out that /etc/userdb is an old suse file that is no longer used in
> 8.1 The command for modifying the /etc/passwd file would be userdel.

Careful with this. I had a problem a while back, and IIRC, userdel would
only kill the user from /etc/passwd. It did not kill the home directory
or eliminate it from /etc/group. I believe the deluser command handles
all this at once. Some of the way these two commands behave is dependent
on how their config files are written. Check the man pages. YMMV. ;-}

Paul