Re: [SLUG] Cable/DSL routers

From: William Coulter (wrcoulter30@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Nov 11 2002 - 20:47:37 EST

--- "Peter S." <ter450@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> Good thread. I have worked with several solutions in the past. Using a
> 486, I ran Coyote for about a year. Cool distro, runs off of a floppy. I
> also took out the HD and the fan for a more quiet operation. Then you can
> telnet into it (or SSH) to manage from with in the LAN. Not much use for it
> when it comes to more complex stuff. Mimimal support for VPN. The guy that
> turned out Coyote is now working on "Wolverine". More robust, but requires
> better hardware. Minimum of Pentium with HD or bootable CD ROM (to load in
> to RAM).

I was thinking about this idea at the start, but I am the only user. I am setting up a network at
my house so that I can learn this stuff. I really would like a job that deals with networking. I
thought that if I have a home network with several different things in it, I would have practice
for the job.
Where can I find the "wolverine"? I think that I have the hardware for it.

> Linksys products are good for home networks. Allows for some
> portforwarding, MAC spoofing (for those annoying DOCIS compliant modems that
> RR turns out), limited VPN and DMZ stuff (along with some of the other
> things mentioned). I would suggest that, if you have not already committed
> to a wireless router/access point, keep your products seperate. The routers
> and wireless access points have been changing so much in the market, that
> one other other becomes obsolete with in a year.... they still work fine,
> but new products are constantly getting marketed so quickly, that the
> hardware is rapidly become "old stuff". Wireless security has grown by
> leaps and bounds. My main concern with it now is bandwidth. I don't want a
> neighbor "leaching" off of my bandwidth, when I download my 500meg files.
> I would love to get a wireless access point, but don't want to drop that
> initial investment for the one with the decent encription... and 72meg
> speed, along with NICs on 6-8 computers.

What is DMZ?