Re: [SLUG] Graphical network monitor

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Thu Nov 14 2002 - 09:55:05 EST

On Thursday 14 November 2002 09:26, Matt Miller wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-11-14 at 08:03, Mike Manchester wrote:
> > Does anyone know of a graphical network monitor that will show the
> > computers/nodes on a system and the in/out load for each node. I have a
> > machine that is consuming all of the upload bandwidth and I'm trying to
> > find it.
>
> I run ethereal on a Linux box connected to dump ports on my core
> switches. I highly recommend it.
> Great packet sniffer and general traffic analyzer

Text-ethereal ("tethereal") makes a perfect replacement for tcpdump as well.
It uses the same command line syntax and packet matching expressions as well
as providing a thorough packet decode with the -V option (something tcpdump
sorely lacks).

Ethereal has long been my favorite wireless/ATM/... sniffing tool due to its
expansive protocol decode - but the GUI is generally intrusive. However,
I've found a complete replacement of tcpdump with tethereal.

--
- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net>

(This message bound by the following: http://www.nks.net/email_disclaimer.html)