Re: [SLUG] W2K and RH 8.0 and NTFS

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Thu Nov 14 2002 - 13:26:18 EST

On Thursday 14 November 2002 12:45, Mikes work account wrote:
> I have both W2K and RH 8.0 running. W2K boots from the MBR and Linux
> boots from my boot disk. How in the world do I get it all booting from
> Grub and eliminate the W2K booting from the MBR??
>
> How do I remove the MBR record and will that let Linux just boot from
> Grub?

You install grub:

either:

        $ grub-install /dev/hda

or, assuming you have a /boot partition on /dev/hda1:

        $ grub
        grub> root (hd0,0)
        grub> setup(hd0)

The MBR (Master Boot Record) is the first 512 bytes (first block) of the
drive.

Once you install grub, the MBR (/dev/hda, aka "hd0") will be written.

With DOS, you can use "fdisk /mbr" to restore the boot sector. With
NT/Win2k/XP, it's easiest to make a backup of the bootsector to a floppy.

Alternatively, you can make a C:\bootsect.dos that holds the 512 bytes of the
drive after grub was installed (restoring your NT bootsector in the
processes), then merely add the appropriate entry to boot.ini to continue
using the ntldr boot menu to boot to either win2k or Linux.

I'm a native grub fan myself.

--
- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net>

(This message bound by the following: http://www.nks.net/email_disclaimer.html)