Re: [SLUG] plip install

From: Ronan Heffernan (ronan@iotcorp.com)
Date: Sat Nov 16 2002 - 08:57:52 EST

Bob File wrote:
> I am trying to install SuSE Linux 8.0 on an old laptop that I inherited.
> There is no CDROM, and the only network card I have is 10 mbs and my hub is
> 100 mbs, so unfortunately that route doesn't work. I've been trying to do it
> via the paralell port driver, but no luck as of yet. I've been trying to
> follow the plip howto instructions, but the error messages I see in
> /var/log/messages makes me think that perhaps I have some kind of hardware
> error. Here are typical lines pertaining to plip:

If you want to PLIP for PLIP's sake, go for it. If you don't mind a
work-around, you can use a cross-over ethernet cable to hook 2 machines
together without using any hub. This would let you get your stuff
installed fairly easily and cheaply. Most places that sell ethernet
cables should also sell cross-over cables (Staples, OfficeMax, Best Buy,
etc). A short one should cost about $6.00 ?

--ronan