Re: [SLUG] plip install

From: Greg Schmidt (slugmail@gschmidt.net)
Date: Sat Nov 16 2002 - 17:02:20 EST

On Sat, 16 Nov 2002, Bob File wrote:

> On Saturday 16 November 2002 08:57 am, Ronan Heffernan wrote:
>
> > If you want to PLIP for PLIP's sake, go for it. If you don't mind a
> > work-around, you can use a cross-over ethernet cable to hook 2 machines
> > together without using any hub. This would let you get your stuff
>
> So 2 ethernet cards connected together will auto negoiate the speed? I only
> have 10base available for the laptop, but the other box is 100base.
> I just want to install, plus connect once in a while.
> Yeah if a cross over cable will work, that would be perfect.

Just about any 100Mb/s NIC should figure out how to run at 10Mb/s. In the
rare event that the autonegotiation would fail between 2 NICs with Linux
drivers there should be a way to set it at 10 manually. If your hub only
does 100 and won't fall back to 10 it's a weird one. All of the 100Mbs
gear I've seen can fall back to 10. If it couldn't, it would have blown
the migration path for folks upgrading their networks from 10 and put a
crimp in the manufacturer's market share. When the IEEE and folks were
drawing up the specs for 100Mbs stuff having backwards compatibility to
10Mbs was something they considered important.