Re: [SLUG] "My distro beat up your distro" discussion

From: Levi Bard (levi@bard.sytes.net)
Date: Tue Nov 19 2002 - 18:00:25 EST

> A lot of people at LucasArts agree with you. Realize that many game
> companies use outside (proprietary) code in their products, plus there
> are trademark/copyright considerations, and effects on distributors, and
> so on.

Yeah, I realize that - they're in the same boat as Sun there.

> Then there's the market share factor. Yes, I know it's chicken/egg, but
> you need to face the fact that the Linux "recreational desktop" market
> is about 1/100 the size of the Windows one.

This is also, unfortunately, true. At Id, though, they seem to think that the Linux share is enough to at least break even on developer hours.

> And a game company donating source so you or whomever can make what
> amount to free copies of their bread and butter? This is going to
> happen about 3 days after "from each according to his means, to each
> according to his needs" becomes our dominant economic paridigm.

That's why Loki was so great - companies could release source to Loki under an NDA or similar, so that the porting could be done, but yet the net wouldn't be covered with free copies (just illegal, binary ones).

I wish more companies like Id would decide they're not too chicken to be the egg.

Levi