Re: [SLUG] Do typical Linux based mail systems offer restoration of individual mailboxes from tape, to the line server?

From: Matt Miller (mmiller1@mptotalcare.com)
Date: Wed Nov 20 2002 - 13:49:34 EST

On Wed, 2002-11-20 at 13:21, John Clay wrote:
> Do typical Linux based email systems support restoration of individual
> mailboxes and mail messages? I've just discovered (the hard way) that
> Exchange 5.5 doesn't. It appears that the entire message database must
> be restored to a "recovery server" and then the desired mailbox must be
> exported for importation into the the production server. Tell me it
> 'aint so in the Linux/Unix world.

Obviously, this depends on what type of mail storage is implemented. On
simple POP3 and IMAP servers, each mailbox is stored separately in
either a mailbox spool or in a user's home directory.
backed in a "bricks" level backup. I personally know that both Arcserve
and Veritas backup support "bricks" level backups with Exchange 5.5.
Check out the following links about "brick" backups in Exchange:
http://www.google.com/search?q=exchange+5.5+brick+backup
http://www.google.com/search?q=exchange+5.5+bricks+backup

--

Matt Miller Systems Administrator MP TotalCare gpg public key id: 08BC7B06

-- An improperly trained Samurai dies quickly.