Re: [SLUG] Do typical Linux based mail systems offer restoration of individual mailboxes from tape, to the line server?

From: Matt Miller (mmiller1@mptotalcare.com)
Date: Wed Nov 20 2002 - 15:01:09 EST

On Wed, 2002-11-20 at 14:33, John Clay wrote:
> Thanks folks, for all the feeback.
>
> This morning I discovered that Veritas Backup Exec., which we use, can
> provide bricks level backup but, as you have guessed already, our system
> wasn't so configured. That's changing rapidly but based on the replys to
> my message it sure looks like it's much simpler under Linux. If I
> understand correctly a backup that included the mailbox file would
> simply require one to grab it off of the tape and deposit it in the
> users home dir. If the person had deleted his entire mailbox, as was the
> case for me, it would be a 5 min affair that wouldn't require the Backup
> Exec. Exchange Agent @ $500 a pop. Am I straight on this?

Yes, with basic *nix mail servers, the mail is usually stored in a user
or spool directory, so replacing a mailbox is as simple as replacing one
or a few files.
Any type of groupware mail server implementation is much more
complicated.

--

Matt Miller Systems Administrator MP TotalCare gpg public key id: 08BC7B06

-- An improperly trained Samurai dies quickly.