Re: [SLUG] Question about X and stability

From: Andrew Wyatt (awyatt@fewt.com)
Date: Sat Nov 23 2002 - 18:53:22 EST

On Sat, 2002-11-23 at 16:47, Matt wrote:
> It's not that X is crashing, I'm sure I could leave it up for however
> long. It's just that after a week or so it lags a bit when browsing
> locally, or launching apps is slower then normal. Once I restart X it's
> fine....

AHHH! Open a terminal, and run TOP. Check your CPU usage, and then sort
by memory ("M" must be caps) and see if there is a process that is using
a ton of memory that could be killed. I checked my wife's computer last
night and noticed that the weather applet that comes with RedHat 8 was
using 190MB of ram! LOL

> Maybe it's time for me to break the 500MHz barrer and join the rest of
> the world ;p

I'm using a PII 400, and have no speed problems. ;-)

--
Andrew Wyatt <awyatt@fewt.com>
FEWT Software - http://www.fewt.com