Re: [SLUG] Kernel 2.4.19 and 8GB of memory?

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Mon Nov 25 2002 - 11:46:02 EST

On Monday 25 November 2002 11:22, Smitty wrote:
> On Monday 25 November 2002 10:53, you wrote:
> > I'm getting ready to build a monster. I've got an IBM x360 with four
> > 2.0GHZ zeon MP's, with 8GB of memory. Does anybody know how much Memory
> > is Addressable by default with the 2.4.19 kernel?
>
> That kernel should be able to handle that memory. Bear in mind that RH 8.0
> uses the 2.4.18 kernel, which is different than what you specify. SuSE 8.1
> uses the 2.4.19 kernel and you can select a standard or smp kernel for
> installation. I would not recommend a generic kernel unless you want to do
> your own compiling and patching - and you know exactly what you are doing.
> Smitty

Memory model is independant of the kernel version or wether it was built with
SMP support. In older 2.3 development kernels, HIGHMEM was called "BIGMEM",
but they're the same thing.

There are three memory models:

        Without CONFIG_HIGHMEM (<1G)
        CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G (<4G) [2% overhead]
        CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G (<64G) "PAE" mode [3-6% overhead]

When you compile your kernel, you can build it with only one of the above
three memory models. That kernel will only support the memory model it is
built with.

Selecting an SMP kernel built without HIGHMEM support will not let your kernel
access physical memory above the 1G mark.

You need an SMP kernel built with CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G (PAE) for the kernel to
access the full 8G of memory.

--
- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net>

(This message bound by the following: http://www.nks.net/email_disclaimer.html)