Re: [SLUG] Firewall/router box problems

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sat Nov 30 2002 - 00:16:24 EST

On Fri, Nov 29, 2002 at 10:06:41PM -0500, Smitty wrote:

> I have set up my old box as a firewall/router. There are no problems in it
> accessing the internet. However, when I try to access the internet from my
> workstation, it is unreachable, as well as the firewall box. I have also
> been running a firewall on the workstation. As far as I know, I have entered
> the correct internal ip addresses in the configuration. One possible glitch
> is that I did not know what address to enter for a destination address.
> Would that be my isp's ip address? I am very new to this so am unsure about
> what I am doing right and wrong.
> Any experienced suggestions?
> Smitty

You don't need your ISP's IP. You need the nameserver IPs for name
resolution, but that should be it.

It's been a very long time since I messed with this, but it sounds on
the surface like an IP forwarding problem. I'd turn off the firewall at
your workstation while you experiment. Assuming you can ping the
internet from the firewall, and ping the firewall from your workstation,
can you ping the internet from your workstation? What comes back? No
response at all? If so, then the packets aren't being forwarded. Make
your pings numeric, so as not to complicate things with nameserver
lookups.

I think you can turn on IP forwarding by stuffing a '1' in the right
/proc file. Try

echo '1' > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

I think that will turn it on. You can add that to your firewall script.

Paul