Re: [SLUG] Firewall/router box problems

From: Greg Schmidt (slugmail@gschmidt.net)
Date: Sat Nov 30 2002 - 06:14:37 EST

On Fri, 29 Nov 2002, Smitty wrote:

<snip>
> One possible glitch
> is that I did not know what address to enter for a destination address.
> Would that be my isp's ip address? I am very new to this so am unsure about
> what I am doing right and wrong.
> Any experienced suggestions?
> Smitty

The "destination address" on your workstation (not router/firewall) should
probably be the IP address of the NIC on your router/firewall that is
connected to your LAN. The one you set statically, not the one that goes
to your ISP. Your workstation needs to be told where to send any packet
it can't otherwise figure out where to send. The only interesting place
for it to send any other packets is the LAN side/inside/protected
side/statically addressed NIC of your router/firewall. That NIC on your
firewall is your workstation's gateway. Its default route. Its ticket to
your ISP and the rest of the world. It's the device that can get your
workstation's packets off the local subnet.

You're going to need to tell your workstation which DNS servers to use
too. You can probably use the ones listed in /etc/resolv.conf on your
firewall. It would have gotten those by DHCP from your ISP.

Sounds like your project is coming along well.

Greg