Re: [SLUG] ATI All in Wonder 7500

From: Levi Bard (levi@bard.sytes.net)
Date: Mon Dec 02 2002 - 00:37:50 EST

On Sun, 1 Dec 2002 23:29:11 +0000 (UCT)
ka4inm <ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> Well Santa came early (because of the sale) and I now use the subject
> AGP super VGA video, TV tuner and video digitizing card in my confusosr.
>
> I have installed: ati_remote, mjpegtools-1.6.0-beta2, videogen-0.16,
> and xawtv-3.75.
>
> I can not get the TV picture on a console.
>
> When I run the executables from these packages I generally get:
> --------------------
> user ~> fbtv
> WARNING: no plugins found [/usr/local/lib/xawtv]
> using linux console font "/usr/share/kbd/consolefonts/lat1-16.psfu.gz"
> map: vt03 => fb0
> map: vt03 => fb0
> v4l-conf: using framebuffer device /dev/fb0
> mode: 800x600, depth=16, bpp=16, bpl=1600, base=0xe0000000
> can't open /dev/video0: No such device
> v4l-conf had some trouble, trying to continue anyway
> no grabber device available
> user ~>
> I ran MAKEDEV.v4l which made " /dev/video0: char 81 0 "
> but there is no device there, the symbolic device doesn't seem
> to be associated to the hardware.
>
> Can anyone give me some help or tips?
>
> Thanks in advance;

The fact that the device /dev/video0 exists in your filesystem but isn't usable suggests that you don't have support for video4linux build into your kernel. If you build your own kernel, you can check your kernel_source_dir/.config for CONFIG_VIDEO_DEV , or if not you can try inserting videodev.o. In any case, you may need to [re]build a kernel, enabling video4linux support (In "Multimedia devices" in the 2.4 kernel series, using menuconfig or xconfig).

HTH,
Levi