[SLUG] Getting on and off the lists

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sun Dec 01 2002 - 22:30:34 EST

Folks:

I'm seeing entirely too much traffic from people trying to s*bsc*be and
uns*bscr*be from the lists the wrong way. You don't see a lot of this
traffic, because it bounces from the list, but I get it. Really, it's
not that hard. A while back I redesigned the Lists page so that all you
have to do is _read_, click on some links and follow simple
instructions. It's really this simple (in the following examples, remove
the asterisks from the sacred words and substitute the proper letters;
also, take out the greater-than and less-than signs):

Either, 1) issue the following command at your prompt:

echo uns*bscr*be <list-name> <email.address> | mail majordomo@nks.net

where <list-name> is slug, slug-announce, slug-digest, etc. Or, 2) send
an email to majordomo@nks.net, with the _body_ of the email containing
the message:

uns*bscr*be <list-name> <email.address>

That's it. Simple. One other proviso: you _must_ s*bscr*be or
uns*bscr*be _from_ the address in question. That is, if the address you
want to uns*bscr*be is joeblow@hotmail.com, you have to send your
uns*bscr*be email _from_ that address. Otherwise, I have to do it, which
is a pain. I can do it, but it's usually unnecessary; you generally know
ahead of time that you're going to terminate an email address, so you
usually have time to send your email before that address goes away. And
don't send such requests to the list address. It either annoys people or
bounces, neither of which is what you want. Send it to the majordomo
address, as above.

Okay? Feel free to clip and save this email. It's pretty much a
duplicate of what's on the SLUG Lists page. Go ahead tape it over your
monitor screen, so that every time you go to use your computer, you have
to move it out of the way. Or you can copy it onto a post-it note and
put that on your screen, if you think it'll stay on there. Tattooing
also works, in case you're inclined in that direction.

;-}

Paul