Re: [SLUG] XF86Config issues

From: Levi Bard (levi@bard.sytes.net)
Date: Mon Dec 02 2002 - 18:07:45 EST

Yeah - xf86config should work in most cases, but since it wasn't and you had access to Xconfigurator, it was worth a shot. You know, the links browser ( http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~clock/twibright/links ) has a SVGA GUI that you can use from the console (no X) - it's kind of neat when you don't have X and are dealing with an unfriendly site.

> It was hwdata that needed an older version of Xconfigurator. I don't
> know where I got hwdata or why I needed it (maybe for a USB CD-RW?).
> When I tried to remove hwdata, it complained about usbutils needing
> it, and when I tried to rip that out, it said something about
> hotplug. There's the escalation and why I needed to do what I did.
>
> Even with those gone,
> cdrecord --scanbus
> can still see my USB CD-RW drive, so I don't think I'd have a problem
> burning stuff but maybe with other hotplugging USB devices (just
> guessing here).

Well, I've got a bunch of USB devices (printer, compactflash reader, trackball, gamepad, cdrw) that I plug/unplug all the time and I've never had hotplug or usbutils installed. I guess they're handy for setting up/detecting new USB hardware, but if you know what you've got and how to use it, I don't think they're mandatory.

Levi