Re: [SLUG] XF86Config issues

From: Mario Lombardo (mario@alienscience.com)
Date: Mon Dec 02 2002 - 17:22:01 EST

It's confusing when the docs say to use xf86config. Besides, I turn
into a big baby when I can't have video. I remember desperately
using lynx for browsing the web and downloading files to get X
working. So many (a pity) websites aren't text-friendly.

It was hwdata that needed an older version of Xconfigurator. I don't
know where I got hwdata or why I needed it (maybe for a USB CD-RW?).
When I tried to remove hwdata, it complained about usbutils needing
it, and when I tried to rip that out, it said something about
hotplug. There's the escalation and why I needed to do what I did.

Even with those gone,
cdrecord --scanbus
can still see my USB CD-RW drive, so I don't think I'd have a problem
burning stuff but maybe with other hotplugging USB devices (just
guessing here).

I just installed hotplug. I haven't tried the others yet. Now I'm
only missing to install hwdata and usbutils. I'm not worried about
it. I'm just happy to see my new card at work. I got to play
American McGee's Alice using winex from http://www.transgaming.com I
don't see much of a degrade in video performance and the sound is
superb. I'm not even using an accelerated X yet.

/mario