Re: [SLUG] DNS and subdomains

From: Ken Billings (ken@coffeehouseltd.com)
Date: Tue Dec 03 2002 - 23:44:11 EST

On Tue, 2002-12-03 at 22:28, Russell Hires wrote:

> I'm not completely sure how to ask this question...how do you get a primary
> domain to delegate to a subdomain? My situation is that I set up a linux box
> at my son's school, and the main domain is pasco.k12.fl.us. My linux machine
> is called "brainy" (after the smurf). So, I want it to be
> brainy.pasco.k12.fl.us. How do I accomplish this?

If I've understood your question correctly, you need to add an "A"
record to the authoritative DNS servers for that domain
(lovebug.pasco.k12.fl.us and ns1.firn.edu). An "A" record is one that
directly maps the hostname to the ip address. The procedure for doing
that varies with the server software used, but I'm sure the DNS admin
would be able to take care of that for you. If you _are_ the admin,
then we'll need some more info from you. :)
By the way, when you're talking about individual machines, the part to
the very left is refered to as the hostname ( The "brainy" in
brainy.pasco.k12.fl.us), not the subdomain.

-Ken

... After reading your question again, I see that you _may_ be asking
how you can get the DNS system set up to allow you to run your own name
server for the brainy.pasco.k12.fl.us domain (like
machine1.brainy.pasco.k12.fl.us). Is this the case?