Re: [SLUG] Raid 1 with Linux question

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Wed Dec 04 2002 - 10:31:43 EST

On Tuesday 03 December 2002 21:38, bpreece1@tampabay.rr.com wrote:
> Bashing is not suppose to be on this list. If you feel the need to insult
> please take it to the politics list thanks.

The world could do with a little less hate. So I'll address Ken's points
below...

Ken, I'm confused by your comment. I have personally used software RAID with
the failed-disk method to convert a running Linux install to use RAID 1
without wiping anything. This is first-hand experience. Granted, it has been
a while (3ware 6400 Escallade controllers are $99 ;)

> > There is no way to build RAID and preserve existing data on one of the
> > disks.

Yes. There is. In fact, it's been written up in at least one HOWTO (from a
quick 30 second google search):

        http://www.fokus.gmd.de/linux/HOWTO/Boot+Root+Raid+LILO-4.html

> > I am not sure if I understood this question. But make sure you don't do
> > RAID on same disk. It makes no any sense at all.

Of course not. He has an extra disk, which is of equal or larger size. That's
what I derived from his email, anyway.

*sigh*

--
- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net>