RE: [SLUG] RH 7.3 reboot problem

From: Greg Schmidt (slugmail@gschmidt.net)
Date: Thu Dec 05 2002 - 11:03:33 EST

Do you have any old XF86config files laying around in /etc/X11/ ? (Is
that where RedHat puts them?) Note the dates on the files and think back
to when you were doing what. :) You might be able to copy over an
XF86config.old or XF86config.002.

I'm guessing that you normally boot straight into X and are now getting in
using single user mode or a rescue disk. You might be able to change the
default run level in /etc/inittab and boot normally to the CLI. startx
would then launch your GUI again once you fix it.

You might also be able to run RH's Xconfigurator to build a new XF86config
from more or less sratch. (You might have a similar xf86config tool
laying around too.) Of course, you could also fire up vi and try to fix
your XF86config that way too. Maybe start by adding a Display subsection
in the Screen section.

hth,

Greg